Thursday

Food | Kale Chips

"Stay committed to your decisions, but stay flexible in your approach."
Tony Robbins


KaleChipsEDITED1

I used to be a chip monster. In my tween and teen years, my lunch consisted of a slushie and a bag of chips; unbeknownst to my mother, whose rendition of lunch was tossed in the nearest bin. Chips to me, their nutritional devoid nature aside, are a perfect snack food- intensely flavored and easy to eat. The grown up me knows that chips for lunch everyday are the reason behind my tween and teenage skin; so the grown up me avoids them. Bad skin or momentary “culinary” satisfaction? Life is about choices; and I choose health.

Then kale chips happened.

I love kale, it’s one of those leaves that I was initially very frightened of; and then I had it sautéed with butter and sea salt. I was amazed at how this green, with little cooking intervention, could be rendered into such a flavorful dish. Since, I’ve put it in smoothies, pastas and soups; but chips were the final frontier. I honestly didn’t believe that kale could rival Old Dutch; but I was wrong. It happens sometimes.

With a quick toss in olive oil and a light dusting of salt, kale bakes up to be stiff opposition to the chips of my yesteryears. If you, like me, are frightened of kale; don’t be. And if you, like me, think that kale chips can’t possibly rival real chips; I say to you, trust me.

KaleChipsEDITED2

Kale Chips
1 bunch (about 6 ounces) kale
1 tablespoon olive oil
Sea salt, to taste
Preheat oven to 300°F. Rinse and dry the kale, then remove the stems and tough center ribs. Cut into large pieces, toss with olive oil in a bowl then sprinkle with salt. Arrange leaves in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, or until crisp. Place on a rack to cool.

6 comments:

  1. I've seen these before but have never tried them. I'm intrigued! Do they last for a couple of days, or do you need to eat them all immediately?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They last for 3 days in an airtight container. But that being said they are more fragile than a chip so they may crumble.

    Thanks for your continued support Katie, i really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it, just about to try this, I bought some Kale at the weekend and was looking for a good and tasty way to eat this most healthy of veg.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I love kale chips. Sometimes I put a little garlic powder on them.

    -Christine
    feedmysole.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the rich dark green color. You just know it's going to be good (and good for you!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks sooooo delicious and healthy...mmm bring it on!
    http://www.annawithlove.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit; and for your kind words!